Posts by bburkett

College Student’s Insurance Needs

Posted by on Aug 19, 2015 in Uncategorized | Comments Off on College Student’s Insurance Needs

If you have a son or daughter attending a college or university away from home you should consider how they are covered for loss of their possessions while living in a dorm room or apartment.  College students today arrive at school with a wealth of electronic gadgets including laptops, smartphones, ipads, tablets, flat screen TV’s and not to mention textbooks, clothing and furnishings.  The cost of higher education today is often a financial burden for most families. So, its probably a good idea to guard against an unforeseen loss of your student’s possessions at this critical time of financial stress. The easiest way to do this is through your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy.  Most homeowner insurance policies will cover up to 10% of your personal property limit for possessions away from home.  If your policy has a personal property limit of $100,000, your student could expect to have $10,000 worth of coverage for their possessions while away at school.  You need to read your policy and understand the conditions that must be met for this to apply.  Not all policies read alike and some may require special endorsements. Another way to cover the risk is to purchase a separate renter’s insurance policy.  The beauty of this method is that should a loss occur, your homeowner policy  will not be called upon in a claim and you may avoid a price surcharge at renewal.  You can also set the limit of coverage needed which could be greater than the 10% limit found in your homeowner policy.  A renter’s insurance policy will also bypass any question that could arise about your son or daughter being a dependent or meeting a definition of being a full time student as may be required under your homeowner policy.  Renter’s insurance is relatively inexpensive when compared to your homeowner policy and provides valuable protection. Contact your independent insurance broker who can discuss what’s best for your situation or call us and we will be glad to help you determine your needs and provide a...

Read More

Am I covered if my tree falls on my neighbors property?

Posted by on Jul 26, 2015 in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Am I covered if my tree falls on my neighbors property?

A tree falling is normally considered an Act of God and no responsibility is attached to you. Your neighbor’s homeowner or auto insurance policy will cover the damage caused by your tree falling across property lines assuming your neighbor is properly insured. An exception to this could occur if you know your tree is susceptible to falling because it is weak and shows signs of deterioration. If you know this or if your neighbor informs you that your tree poses a danger to his property, you could be determined to be negligent for not remedying the problem and thereby held liable. It is possible that your homeowner insurance policy could be called upon to provide coverage when you are negligent. This would result in a claim against you. If you are determined to have been negligent by not taking care of your tree, you could risk being non-renewed by your current insurance company. Finding a new homeowner policy could be difficult and certainly more expensive. So, if you know you have a problem tree, it would be best to take care of it before it falls and causes damage to your neighbor’s home or auto and be a good...

Read More