Regardless of where you live, you are not going to escape the possibility of experiencing floods and the destruction that accompanies floods. Did you know that just a few inches of water in your home could amount to tens of thousands of dollars in damages? This is just one of many very important flood insurance facts you should know before deciding whether you should invest in flood insurance.
Floods Don’t Discriminate
Even if you don’t live in a flood plain, a heavy storm can pop up in minutes, dropping inches of rain with such force that the next thing you know, water is coming into your home and now you are faced with the unthinkable. Because of your home location, you never conceived you would need flood insurance, but now you are faced with thousands of dollars of damages and no coverage. Floods don’t discriminate so why not be prepared for the unthinkable? Will you be prepared should you become a victim to flood damages?
Below Are Some Common Flood Insurance Facts You Should Know, but Not Limited to:
- A typical Alabama homeowners insurance policy excludes flood damages
- Flood insurance requires a separate policy
- Everyone lives in a flood zone
- Flood insurance isn’t expensive
- Flooding is the number 1 common disaster in the United States
- Less than 1/3 of all Alabama residents have flood insurance
- NFIP (National Flood Insurance Program) oversees flood insurance but flood insurance polices are sold by private insurance companies
- Flood insurance rates are determined by the location of the home, age of home, building materials, and more
- One-third of all claims paid by the NFIP were for zones in the low risk areas
- There is standard 30-day waiting period before flood insurance kicks in
- Alabama has an average of 56 inches of rain per year
Don’t Weather the Storm
Knowing some valuable flood insurance facts can help you determine whether it is wise to invest in flood insurance. For a nominal fee, you can secure the peace of mind knowing your home and contents will be protected should you become a victim to flood and it’s impending destruction. Contact our offices at Burkett & Associates Insurance Agency at 256-704-7400 to discuss flood insurance or any questions related to your Alabama homeowners insurance policy, provisions, conditions or exclusions. We are an approved provider of the National Flood Insurance Program and are here for all of YOUR needs.