Burglaries happen all too often. In fact, a burglary happens every 30 seconds in the U.S. With weather getting warmer and summer vacations being planned, now is the time to take a look around and find ways to keep your home safe while you are away. More burglaries happen during the months of July and August simply because burglars are looking for homes just like yours that look unoccupied. Burglar proof your home today so you can worry less while you are away at work, play or vacation.
Tips to Keeping Your Home Safe, but Not Limited to:
Intruders can break in (or simply enter) and steal all your belongings and be out within 10 minutes. While this is a scary statistic, it may also be alarming to find out most home intrusions occur during the daylight hours, and not at night. Many people, during the day, are at work, school, or on vacation and this is when an intruder wants to strike. Take a look at some helpful tips you can follow today to keep you safe tomorrow!
- Lock all windows and doors. This will the first place an intruder will look to enter so don’t make it easy.
- Invest in a home security system as a deterrent and make sure the home security signs are visible all around your home. Burglars don’t want to draw attention to an unlawful entry, so any sign of a security system may make the robber move on.
- Use timers on lights and televisions so that at random times, you can have lights and sound from televisions to make it look like someone is home.
- Keep all shrubs and trees landscaped so that burglars can’t find a place to hide as they enter your home. Make sure the entrances to your home are visible.
- While away from your home, make sure you cut your newspaper and mail off OR ask a neighbor if they can assist you with getting it until you return. Mail and newspapers piling up are a clear sign you are away.
- Advise your neighbors of when you are away so they can keep a lookout for suspicious people or unusual activity around your house.
- Make sure your blinds and shades are closed so potential burglars can’t easily look into your home for the layout and/or your valuables.
- Install solid doors around your home so that entry into your home isn’t that easy to access.
Take the Stress Away and Enjoy Your Summer!
Now is the time to start thinking about your summer vacation so why not start planning to burglar proof your home today? Taking preemptive measures to deter unwanted intruders will give you peace of mind that when you do leave your home, your house will be less likely to be targeted. If you have any other questions on how to burglar proof your home, contact us at 256-704-7400. We are here for all your Alabama homeowners needs.